Feliz Día De Mamá in Costa Rica


August 15th is Mother's Day in Costa Rica. Here they celebrate it with style.

Unlike Father's Day, which is synchronized with the same day in the U.S., mothers in Costa Rica get their own special day, which falls on August 15th regardless of the day of the week. Costa Rica is unique in the world for celebrating Mom's Day on that date, which you can see on the map below signifying on which day per country mothers are celebrated across the globe.


map of mother's days around the world
Days around the world on which mothers are honored
Costa Rica Mother's Day is a bona fide national holiday, which means many stores, the banks and government offices including the post office are closed.


To help celebrate, I offer up these lyrics from "Gracias Mamá:"

Thank you Mother, for praying for me each night
Thank you Mother for being with me if I am sick
Thank you Mother for consoling me with your kisses
Even though you are not here with me, you are not far
You have given me and I will give you love eternally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! - Casey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...